This class is for highly motivated USABO competition students (including the USABO students who started over the summer).
As recommended by the USABO organization, we will be covering every single chapter in the Campbell biology book (the official book of the competition). This means students may need to read and review up to 5 chapters a week. (Students who began over the summer will have an easier time and need to read fewer chapters.)
(SpringLight will also offer an in-depth “taking all the exams from previous years” class in Jan-Feb, 2017.)
Our previous students have been extremely successful:
*all our students scored above 20 on the 2016 regional (the cutoff for nationals was 23.88)
*50% of our students made it to semifinals in 2016
*2 of our students have made it to finals in 2016 (top 20 in the US)
*over 10 of our students have made it to semifinals in 2017.
Students who miss a class can make it up by watching videos of the class and coming to the teacher with any questions.
About the Exam
Round 1: USABO Open Exam
- Is a 50-minute, nationwide multiple-choice and multiple true/false choice exam available to any high school biology student (grades 9 to 12) who is registered by a school.
- Administered at a registered school (classroom or location designated by the teacher/test administrator) within the time period
- designated by the Center for Excellence in Education (CEE).
- Structured like the multiple-choice portion of the International Biology Olympiad (IBO) Theoretical Exam.
- Has NO Penalty for guessing.
Round 2: USABO Semifinal Exam
- Is a 120-minute exam containing three parts:
- Part A is primarily multiple choice questions with one answer.
- Part B has more complex, sequenced multiple choice questions that may have several correct answers (see comment regarding penalty for guessing below) and may require calculations or extensive interpretation of graphs (see posted example) and multiple true/false choice questions.
- Part C may be short answer or essay.
- Administered at a registered school (classroom or location designated by the teacher/test administrator) over a 120-minute period within the time period designated by the Center for Excellence in Education (CEE).
- Taken by students who score in the top 10% of the Open Exam.
- Has NO Penalty for guessing. For multiple choice questions with more than one answer, the question value will be the number of wrong responses subtracted from the number of right responses with no question value below zero.