2016 Session 1
Writing college application essays doesn't have to be difficult! This workshop will teach students how to get started and how to write effective and interesting application essays. This is the first workshop in a summer series featuring a range of counselors and essay editors for better practices on essay writing. SpringLight's counselors and editors have helped our students get into colleges where they are happy and that fit them best.
Our first session will include these topics:
- Learn about the importance of well-written essays
- Understand what College Admission Officers are looking for in an essay
- Learn how to come up with essay topics
- Learn how to structure an essay
- Study a sample essay
- Practice writing an essay
Using information from this workshop, you could get your essays done during summer break. Get prepared for college applications now!
2016 Session 2
College application essays are short, yet there is so much you need to communicate! This workshop will teach students how to condense and how to elaborate for effective and succinct application essays.
This is the second workshop in a summer series featuring a range of counselors and essay editors for the best practices on essay writing. Students should bring to class already-written essays they wish to improve upon.
Our session will include these topics:
- Qualities that College Admission Officers look for in the language and tone of an essay
- Meeting the word count without losing details
- Demonstrating passion and interest in your subject
- Making a cliché subject more personal
- Wrintg a "why this school?" essay
- Maintaining focus and clarity
- Expressing confidence without sounding arrogant
- Practice editing your own essays
Get prepared for college applications now!
2016 Session 3
The UC Application has a couple of new essays called Personal Insight Questions. Learn how to write these essays and how to better leverage your talents for admission. Understand why the new questions are better for you, even though you have to write two more essays. Bring your resume or a list of your extracurricular activities to guide you as you begin writing.
The session will include:
- Understand some of the difference among the UC campuses
- How to select a major for your UC applications
- How to write the Personal Insight Questions in order to receive the best evaluation score
- Understand the competition when applying to UC College of Engineering, and how you can stand out
- Learn why the Common App essays are different than UC essays, and why you should not use the same essays for both
- Write one or more of your UC Personal Insight Questions and receive feedback during class