Computational Linguistics plays a more and more important role in modern technology. It also weighs more in college admission no matter if you want to study computer science or linguistics.
The North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad (NACLO) is a contest in which high-school students solve linguistic puzzles. By solving these puzzles, students learn about the diversity and consistency of language, while exercising logic skills. No prior knowledge of linguistics or second languages is necessary: even the hardest problems require only your logical ability, patient work, and willingness to think outside the box.
The number of students who participate in NACLO every year from the U.S. and Canada is less than 2000, which leaves a strong chance for students to enter the semi-final round. Starting 2018 Canada will host their own Linguistics Olympiad, OLCLO.
NACLO is as important as USAMO, USACO, USABO, USAPhO and USNCO, although it is still not widely known by the students and parents.
Q & A
- Who can take the contest? 什么人可以参加？
Middle school or high school students in the US. 在美国上学的初高中学生。 (国籍没关系）
- No prerequisites 不需要任何基础。
- What is recommended?
Someone with strong logical thinking capabilities. 最好有比较强的逻辑思维能力。
- When is the next contest date? 比赛时间？
2018 Contest Dates
Open Round: January 25, 2017
Invitational Round: March 8, 2017
- Where and how to register the contest? 怎么报名参加考试？在哪里考？
You can either take the test at a registered university site http://nacloweb.org/university_sites.php or find a teacher or librarian who can run a high school site http://nacloweb.org/high_school_sites.php as specified elsewhere. If your high school is not in the list but your teacher is willing to host the test, check http://nacloweb.org/hs_coordinators.php.
- How much to take the test? 又什么费用吗？
Presentations (+ Sample Problems)
- SWE presentation (with problem teasers) [PPTX] [PDF]
- Different systems of numbers and measurements
- Activity Problems [PPTX] [PDF]
- Same as above, but with only NLP-relevant slides [PPTX] [PDF]
- Presentation on Tenji Karaoke [PPT] [PDF]
- Learning Chinese - NACLO Style
- Linguisticsless Linguistic Problem Solving
- Slightly Linguisticsful Linguistic Problem Solving
- Presentation for Schools (2013) [PPTX] [PDF]
- Problem Teasers (2014) [PPTX] [PDF]
- The Big Perspective [PPTX] [PDF]
- How to Succeed at the Linguistics Olympiad [PPT] [PDF]
- Yerevan Puzzle [PPTX] [PDF]