Photography can be an extremely rewarding hobby throughout one's entire life. Photography is an integral part of everyone's lives, and can be used as a form of communication, documentation, as well as a way of making art. This introductory course will cover all aspects of photography, including technical skills, composition, photography history, processing images, and making prints.
- learn how to create better pictures,
- become more familiar and comfortable with cameras,
- gain a better understanding of their direction and purpose as a photographer.
Schedule of 5-day Course
Day 1: Introduction to Photography, Learning about Cameras
- What's the purpose of photography? What different kinds of photography are there?
- How do cameras work? What are the different kinds of cameras?
- Demonstration of how a lens forms an image, how a camera shutter works
- What camera settings affect a photo? (shutter, aperture, ISO, focus, focal length)
- Instructor will guide students learning how to control these settings on their cameras
Day 2: Composition, Focal Length, and the decisive moment
- How can you place your subject in your frame?
- What aspects of composition make photos eye-catching?
- How does focal length affect composition?
- How can the timing of a photo affect its content?
- Review of camera settings learned on day 1
Day 3: The History of Photography, Advanced camera settings
- Early history of the camera and photography
- Influential photographers in history (Cartier-Bresson, Steve McCurry, Ansel Adams, Magnum Photos, etc)
- Review ISO, shutter, aperture
- Metering modes, autofocus modes
- What is a macro lens?
- Using flash
Day 4: Analog vs digital processes, processing your digital negatives
- How is film shot & developed? How are analog prints made?
- Shooting in RAW
- Pulling/pushing, color balancing, sharpening, noise reduction, etc
Day 5: Publishing your work, and how to become a better photographer after the class
- Publishing your photos online (facebook, flickr, 500px, squarespace)
- Printing & framing photos
- How to continue improving as a photographer
Schedule of 3-day Course
- Introduction to Photography: A summary of major camera functions.
- Introduction on the factors of controlling the right exposure of a photo and the relationship of exposure triangle.
- Introduction on how to Frame a photo — Composition.
- Includes three photo shooting sessions.
- Photo Field Trip.
- Photo review and selection of favorite photos.
- Introduction to the new way of photo sharing: Flickr. Account set up included.
- Introduction to Adobe Lightroom (a photo processing software).
- Finish up introduction to Adobe Lightroom.
- Brief photo editing for Photo show.
- Photo show and presentation.
- Digital camera with manual
- Software: Adobe Lightroom 5 or 6
- One image in RAW file