Online USA Astronomy and Astrophysics Olympiad Training (USAAAO) Training
Though only established in the USA in 2013, the Olympiad has been running internationally for more than 40 years, comparable to the other Olympiads.
The USAAAO consists of 4 rounds:
National Astronomy Olympiad (NAO)
MIT Training Camp
International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics (IOAA)
Registration: Jan 3 - Jan 31
First Round: Feb 5th
NAC: Mar 26th
Online training: May 15- Aug 10
IOAA: Aug 2022 (TBD)
$480 for the 10 class videos with homework at Google Drive.
The first class video is at https://youtu.be/-DWztc3TF-8.
75% students from Eric's class qualified as semifinalists last year.
If you have a passion for and are motivated in any sort of Astronomy & Astrophysics, this class is for you! An experienced instructor will tell you that even a middle schooler can start without the need of any prepared knowledge. If the students start preparation early, they have really good chance to pass the 1st round and advance.
A strong interest in Astronomy, Astrophysics, or Physics is recommended, but definitely not required. Those who have taken a physics course, preferably AP Physics 1 or higher, will be much more prepared for higher lever competition.
The USAAAO is one of the several national science olympiads (along with USAPhO, USABO, USNCO, etc).
We encourage students could utilize a telescope and various techniques to practice observational astronomy, which includes aspects that are tested in all rounds of the Olympiad (including the first round). Historically, in the first round there have been 2-5 questions specifically on constellations, stars, and deep sky objects.
- A strong interest in Astronomy, Astrophysics, or Physics is recommended, but definitely not required.
- Math: Algebra, though of course more advanced courses would be highly beneficial. Calculus is definitely not needed in any aspect of the first round, and even very little in the National Astronomy Olympiad.
Instructor: Eric Yang
- 6th Place Overall, Finalist, & Qualifier, USA Astronomy & Astrophysics Olympiad Training Camp
- One of 15 finalists & invited to 2017 USAAAO Training Camp at MIT, prep for International Olympiad, lectures with researchers, observational astronomy. Top 5 compete in the IOAA, I placed 6th.
- 2-Time USAAAO Semi-Finalist/Qualifier (2017 & 2018)
Order Eric Yang's Online Video USAAAO Class
To order the online video class, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject title as "USAAAO Online Video" with the student's name, gmail address and parent's name, phone number, email address, and the video class name.
Online courses are non-refundable. Once the course is purchased/accessed, no refund will be granted regardless of the reason.
We accept the following payments: Make a note of student name and class/date(important!)on the payment.
We accept the following payments: Make a note of student name and class/date(important!) on the payment.
- Online banking pay through Zelle: Spring.Light.Edu@gmail.com. Payee's Business name: SpringLight Education. For most online banks it's free, ask your bank for Zelle pay for details about your online sending money.
- Check payable to SpringLight Education, you can email the front and back pictures of the check to us. Or send the paper check to us by mail, or drop if off at our office.
If you have any questions, please send email to email@example.com, or call 408-480-2505.